Logo

OMC 140/120 Steering cable removal

andyman54

Hey all I am new to these forums and to boating in general.

I have recently been given a 1969 crestliner raider ( aluminum)

The boat orignially had a 120 omc 2.5 liter engine. It was seized up and not worth fixing at all.

I have acquired now, (late 70s- early 80s) OMC 140 engine and it had already attached a 120 sterndrive)

everything needs to be gutted I am in the process of removing the transom on the boat but I am stumped I CAN NOT remove the steering cable. I have even removed the steering wheel and everything. It should be able to come off on both ends and on both ends I either cant figure it out or its all seized up from sitting so long ( i have sprayed PB blaster everywhere)

I attached a photo of the steering ball that wont come off.

This thing is in the way of removing the transom I could cut the wood and take it out but either way it needs to be removed for putting the new transom in.

This has frustrated me enough to the point of me wanting to cut it and remove everything and just convert to hydraulic, I am trying to find the right steering to buy.

My main question is are these the right things to buy for my system. Do i need to get anything else to make it fit my outdrive properly?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SeaStar-HK4...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

and the other question is how do i remove this thing? If so do they make new cables to get?

Thanks

Andy

Attachments

• 20170806_185156.jpg
    20170806_185156.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 90
Back