Logo

2007 bf 225 steam or condensation at idle?

Scottinline1

I have twin 2007 bf225's on my boat. I've been noticing the last couple of times when i'm at idle the port motor has what looks more like steam or condensation steam coming out of exhaust ports. Its not a white or grey smoke but more steam like. Starboard motor nothing. I do use yamaha ringfree in my fuel tanks. Plus this Sunday when I was out the port motor died when I was running at about 4000rpms. The motor cranks over but will not start. I believe its a fuel issue.
There was no alarms, no overheating issues, pee stream is very strong coming out of port motor. Pulled cover off when it happened and motor was warm to touch not hot enough that you couldnt put hand on valve covers or block. Oil looks brand new still, no water in oil.
Starboard motor runs great. Had to limp back 30 miles at 8mph on the starboard motor. I've checked both motors for exhaust corrosion and they look good.

My questions are what is the steam about and where to look first for why its not getting fuel?
Thank you guys for any info.

Last edited:
That's not much to go on for diagnosing why it won't start. If it just died outright, I would suspect an electrical problem. If it died slowly, missing and generally acting up, it's likely a fuel problem.

First, check your fuses, including the big 30 amp one. Next, exercise your kill switch(es), reset kill switch yokes, and attempt to start.

Next, see if you get any fault codes. Procedure is attached here: View attachment Procedure for Getting Fault Codes.pdf Then reset the ECU as described in that document.

Check the sight bowl in the low pressure fuel filter to make sure it has fuel - it should be over half full. If not, or low fuel, back up your fuel line to the tank and look for a kink or other blockage. Closely inspect where the fuel line goes through the big black grommet on the front of the engine. The fuel line will sometimes get pinched there, or will collapse there from wear.

As for the steam - I'm assuming you were not boating in very cold air or water. Pull your plugs and inspect burn. All should have a milk chocolate brown coating. If one or more is much cleaner than the others, that could be water intrusion into that cylinder. Honda changed the design of the exhaust tubes in the middle of 2007, so you may have the old exhaust tubes. Below are the SN's of engines that had the original exhaust tubes per Honda Service Bulletin # 56:
• BAGJ 10000001 to approximately 1500324
• BAHJ 10000001 to approximately 1500022

Let us know what you find.

OK, in that case you should have the updated exhaust tubes factory installed. That's the good news.

If you have evidence of water intrusion in any of the cylinders, then you will likely need to pull the heads to figure out why.

I borrowed a engine ignition meter from a friend. There is zero indication on the meter that the coils are getting any spark. Any suggestions on where to look first?

Back