Logo

OMC components to mercruiser components

jadilla

Regular Contributor
Ok guys, I'm about to transplant the 470 from donor boat to the winner. Will I need to move all controls and wiring over with it? Such as gauges key and receptacle... all that good stuff? I think the mercruiser is a yellow plug and the omc was black? I'll probably switch everything over but can I keep all the gauges that are already in the boat?

I know I'm not giving much info but If you guys give me a heads up on what I need to look for I can do that.

Thanks,

Jas0n

The key switch and guages are typically universal so they can stay.

You just need to attach the correct colors to the correct locations based on mercs color code from the merc wire harness. You do need to swap the main wiring harness as the pinouts are most likely different.

The shift controlls and cables are different. OMC and MERC are not the same. One is a push, push and the other is a push, pull control if I am not mistaken.

No easy way, got to do it all.

Dang! Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks! I wish I wasn't so pinched for money... I would have bought something nice to start with.

If you can identify what wires go where then you could make it work BUT that is your choice and most likely you would need to cut and splice, Not reccommended but it is your project!!

Any used boat with a merc does not have to be a 470, any motor wiring harness will work, just need the approximate year with in 2 or o so years, go find a dead boat that you might be able to strip down what you need..........the wiring harness and controls are the same for all motor combo's.....

Last edited:
Back