Logo

Livewell Parts, Installation, and Recommendations/Questions

Shesho

Hey Johnson/Evinrude Outboard Forum,

The reason for this post is to ask the community to point me in the right direction when it comes to choosing the right Livewell products and tools for my boat. I currently own a 1997 Stratos 2100 Center Console 21 Ft offshore boat and attached to this post is an image of my vessel. I believe the compartment just forward of my center console would be an ideal spot for a livewell but there is no pre-existing livewell installed. Since I am currently deployed and away from my boat, I do not have the measurements of the compartment but my intentions are to use my boat to go off-shore fishing in Texas and Florida. With that being said;

1. What products/parts do i need when it comes to installing a complete livewell system?
2. Is there an exact flow rate/gallons per hour that is specific to keep my bait alive and well when off-shore fishing?
3. Do i need to run cables through the hull of my boat to my battery and switch on my dash?
4. Would installing a small screen on the PVC pipe that sucks out the water be a good idea to help the livewell filter last for a longer period of time?

A diagram with specific instructions or a step-by-step video would be of great help. Hope to hear from you guys soon!

​​​​​​​-Shesho

thumbnail_received_953030131569965.jpg

1. What products/parts do i need when it comes to installing a complete livewell system?
2. Is there an exact flow rate/gallons per hour that is specific to keep my bait alive and well when off-shore fishing?
3. Do i need to run cables through the hull of my boat to my battery and switch on my dash?
4. Would installing a small screen on the PVC pipe that sucks out the water be a good idea to help the livewell filter last for a longer period of time?
I'm really suprized there isn't a livewell on that boat. I thought typically center console boats had a seat in front of the console that doubles as a livewell. Guess I was wrong on that one.

Parts needed:
1) Thru-hull 500 GPH livewell pump
2) Stainless Mesh intake screen
3) About 25' of 3/4" bilge pump hose
4) Livewell sprayer nozzle
5) Quantity of two, 1 1/8" thru-hull fittings to use as a drain (one on the livewell, one on the side of the boat)
6) About 10' of 1 1/8" tubing for the drain.

Cables?
Yes. I would suggest a 2nd, deep cycle battery to operate the livewell. Put an automatic timer on it like this one so you can just set it and forget it: https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Lect...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MYE7BFBDMQ133F5CN2SJ
This timer will allow it to run continuously so you can fill the livewell, then turn it to a timer setting for automatic on/off cycles.

Wire the 2nd battery ground directly to the pump and the timer. Then, run the battery positive directly to the timer, then from the timer + to the pump.

Kevinj,

You sir are a boss! I was wondering the same thing and apparently the guys at my local boat repair shop told me these boats (Stratos) don't typically have a built in live well. They also told me it would be quite difficult to install one but I'm assuming that they don't care to do it. I appreciate the time and thought of pointing me into the right direction.

-Shesho

Back