Logo

Mercury 25HP XD Manual to electric conversion

fosterbeer

"This is my second posting, I

"This is my second posting, I think I have previously put it where I shouldn't have, sorry.

I have a 1984 Merc 25hp XD manual start. I am converting it to an electric start. I just purchased the flywheel gear, aux stator, starter, starter selenoid, and rectfier. I have the Seloc manual but it is too broad for particulars. On the engine it is obvious where the starter and stator goes, but not sure of the mounting of the selenoid and the rectifier. Does anyone have this engine 84 or 85 to give me an idea where to mount these components??
I will bring out the charging line and starter line to a small console."

"Foster, I was trying to find

"Foster, I was trying to find a good picture to post for you. Have to settle for a diagram instead.

Both the solenoid and rectifier mount on the side of the powerhead just forward of the switch box. The electric start kit from Merc contains a pretty good set of installation instructions, I just couldn't find it in my pile of junk.

Anyhow, you will notice a few (mounting holes) on the side of the block that will become obvious once you know where to look - the diagram should guide you to them...

There is however, no really hard/fast rule as to where they should go. I have my rectifier mounted using the same bolt as is holding one corner of the switchbox - just have to make sure at least one of your mounting screws/bolts grounds good to the block (easily checked with an ohm meter).

If you also acquired a neutral safety switch, I have the mounting location diagram for that as well.

148594.jpg
"

"Thanks Graham, the diagram is

"Thanks Graham, the diagram is a big help. I think I also got a neutral safety switch, don't know if any brackets came with it. I actually bought a lot of parts from someone that had the same motor with a bad block. For $240 I got all the parts already stated plus a complete flywheel, ingnit stator, switchbox, trigger loop, both coils, and some harnessing. The choke was a little misleading in the book, it turns out I have an auto choke.

I have another question about checking the compression. I have seen a lot of posts stating to short the spark plug wire during the test. This is a big load on the coils, why not just short out the stop switch that goes to the switchbox, this has the same effect??? I am not saying anyone is incorrect, but a shorted load on the output of the coils could deteriate the coil."

"Foster, first off, when check

"Foster, first off, when checking compression yes, you can simply turn "on" the kill switch, that will ground out everything fine when you test compression.

It's best to test the compression with the motor warm to get a more correct reading - however, most gauges are not calibrated the best so mostly what you are looking for is balance between the cylinders - no more than about 10psi difference between the two of them - and a reading over 90 psi would be considered good.

Here's a diagram for an "engine mounted" neutral safety - there is another version located in the shifter (if so equipped), but that one is integral to the shifter and not usually an "add on"....

148625.jpg
"

Thanks again Graham for all yo

Thanks again Graham for all your help. I have to see if I have the bracket for the switch mounting.

Foster

Back