Logo

1976 OMC Sterndrive Reverse Problem

nevilmi

"Hi everyone, I've got a s

"Hi everyone, I've got a sterndrive outdrive and reverse isn't working. I'm a pretty good automotive mechanic however outdrives are new to me. I've got it apart but not really sure what to check. It is an electric shift and I think i've got the reverse coil out. I thought I read somewhere I could check the ohm reading of the coil to see if it is good. What i'm really looking for is some guidance on things to check and troubleshooting. I'm sure i'm not the only one with this issue so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
happy.gif
"

I would've checked the wir

I would've checked the wiring and everything before taking it apart. The reverse coil rarely fails. Don't spend enough time in reverse over the life of a boat to cause it to fail.

4-7 ohms typical.

"Ya... good point.. I actually

"Ya... good point.. I actually did check the wiring but wasnt sure which one was for forward and which one was reverse. Now that its apart, i'll check the coil then put it all back together and check it again. Thanks for your feedback."

"that could be your problem. T

"that could be your problem. There is a special high electrical resistance lubricant for electric shift lower units called "Type C".
Regular gear lube conducts electricity.

As I'm sure you've discovered, there are uninsulated electrical connections in the l/u.

Might want to snag an OMC manual from eBay or at least a Seloc one from this site.
"

"You can still buy Type C at C

"You can still buy Type C at Canadian Tire, in Canada, or at the Marine Dealer. I assure you, the latter is more expensive."

"[b]1973 omc electric shift ca

"1973 omc electric shift can any one help with this problem took the bayliner out the other day shifted into forward went fine for about 75 yards, it reved up like i took it out of gear and it would not go in forward any longer it shifted into reverse fine any ideas would really help thank you "

Back