Logo

Velvet Drive Fluid

or_2bnguy

"I have a Velvet Drive 10-17-4

"I have a Velvet Drive 10-17-400 1:1 Ratio in a 1987 Ski Centurion. I have been receiving conflicting information on what type of fluid to use. I am told a Dexron II or III and I am also told straight 20w Oil. My manual isn't really clear on this subject. It mentions both of them in there, but doesn't really say which one to use. What should I use to be safe? I really don't want to end up replacing the thing because of this. Please Someone Help!?!?!?"

"What's in there now? If i

"What's in there now? If it's tan/brown and feels like motor oil, it is. If it's reddish, it's ATF. If it's brown and has a slightly nutty smell, it's ATF that needs to be changed.

Is there any kind of sticker on the motor? Who has done the maintenance before?

If it makes a bit of a rattling sound (like marbles bouncing around inside) it's probably ATF."

"I had just bought the boat th

"I had just bought the boat the first of March, so I don't know about who maintained it, I wanted to change all the fluids so I knew that the fluids were New. The tranny had what appeared to be old ATF in it. I had seen on a discussion board that if you weren't sure then you need to change it 3 times to get all the old stuff out of there. So I drained and filled and ran it at 1500 RPMs for a little while, three times and now the fluid is a nice Red. Then I was told that those use 20W Oil. I took it out Saturday and it ran great all day pulling tubers and just running around. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't done something stupid and it was going to cost me a load of cash. The Manual that I downloaded, said to use Dexron II or III or any that meet Detroit Diesel Allison C-4 Specifications. The tech where I bought my boat e-mailed me and said 20W Oil. Another discussion I read said use either just make sure you don't mix them. It runs good and shifts good. So did I do alright?"

"Like I said before, sniff it

"Like I said before, sniff it if you still have the old stuff. ATF smells totally different from motor oil, especially if it's old and burnt. IIRC, most from that vintage did use 20W oil. If you change it again, do it 3 times and run it after the first and second times to mix it, which actually serves to dilute the mixture. Also, remove the oil lines every time to the oil cooler and drain that, as well as getting the oil out of the lines.

The 20W tends to keep the transmission quieter and does lubricate better."

Back