Logo

ListerPetter starter question

musiccitybill

"I have a L-P AC2W twin cylind

"I have a L-P AC2W twin cylinder, water-cooled, marine diesel engine in my 1979 sailboat. I need a new starter or this one rebuilt. Any one know where I might find a starter or have the Lucas crossover numbers? The L-P parts number is 275156, but that does not match any of the Lucas part numbers.
Thanks,
Bill"

Take it to a GOOD auto electri

Take it to a GOOD auto electrical shop. One that apecializes in starters and alternators. Have yours rebuilt.

"I took it to a good rebuild s

"I took it to a good rebuild shop, and they scratched their heads and were unsure if they could do it. I did find a starter at Obsolete Parts, 513-731-4134. Neil who owns the place came up with a Lucas number, S-3515, and that lead him to a new replacement for $335 plus $15 for shipping. I checked other places with that number and his price was spot on what others wanted.
Bill"

"You could call around to some

"You could call around to some other auto electric shops. The steep price is a little shocking but that's the situation you are in with some marine items. One thing is, if you get the new one you won't have anything to think about in that regard for a long time if at all."

335 is cheap for a diesel star

335 is cheap for a diesel starter I have replaced ones costing $800.00. Mine would cost 500.00. Keep trying to get the old one rebuilt and then keep it onboard as a spare.

Back