Logo

Bravo II Gear oil leak

gearshift1946

"About two weeks ago my alarm

"About two weeks ago my alarm went off and I discovered that the fill bottle for my gear oil was empty. I topped it off and now I'm using about a half pint every 1/2 hour of cruising. No oil in bilge area, and no oil slick when idling. I let engine run at idle for about a half hour a couple of days ago and there was no drop in gear oil or a slick. I seem to be losing it under power only. Any ideas/ suggestions? I want to get another month of boating in before I pull the boat for the winter. Obviously, I'll most likely pull the drive and pressure check then."

don't need to pull the dri

don't need to pull the drive to pressure test it - can do it on the boat.
9 times out of 10 fishing line has gotten in behind the prop and damaged the propshaft seal.
Repair of that seal can also be done without pulling the drive.

As far as making it to next spring- your call on the cost of gear lube and conscience about dumping it in the lake.

"[b]"As far as making it t

""As far as making it to next spring- your call on the cost of gear lube and conscience about dumping it in the lake."

Ayuh,....
And,... Usually, if Oil is leaking Out,...
Water is leaking In...."

I am not looking to make it un

I am not looking to make it until next "Spring". I take the boat out in October. I have noticed that the oil level does not drop if under 2000 rpm's. I will most likely get to fish in the harbor once or twice more this season. I certainly do appreciate you feedback. Thank You.

Back