Logo

Racor - vacuum gauge (Racor alternative)

bobct

Advanced Contributor
Burried in my WOT thread was mention of a Racor fuel filter vacuum gauge alternative. Mark forwarded me a link where somone described using these instead of the $100 per gauge option from Racor directly. This was a 5 min install and appear to work well. They also seem really well made (better than I thought).

At idle, I get a reading of around 7.5hg on a brand new filter. I get just around the same reading on my other engine but that filter is two years old with about 130 hours. If I read correctly, the initial reading does not matter so much because it will vary by engine/configuration. Once you have that baseline, I think you want to change the filter if it rises about 5hg above your baseline. image.jpg

Do I have that part correct? I wish my old filter had a higher reading which I was sort of expecting but my fuel system is really clean from end to end. Ethanol is good for that!

Bob:

Mostly, I'd agree...though the 7.5" vacuum seems a bit high - did you put the gauge on the inlet or outlet side of the spin-on?

It is on the outlet side which was previously plugged. I could "T" it off the inlet side if that's a more accurate reading?

Seems like you would want a differential input gauge. SO, the tank level or an anti-siphon valve would not affect the reading.

between the filter and the pump is the 'normal' spot.....just seems like a significant drop.....

Agee with Dave that a differential gauge would be ideal but that accuracy will cost a lot more than the Racor single ended gauge...

Back