Logo

Minn Kota RT 80 Cutting Off

cgav34

I have a brand new, Nautic Star 214 XTS, with a Minn Kota RT 80 trolling motor...all purchased back in Sept. of 2015. The boat is wired up for a 24 volt system.

With all the rain we've been having here locally, I've only been able to get the boat out on the water maybe 8 or 10 times in the 5 months I've had it. Up until about a month ago, I had no problems with the trolling motor. Now, the motor is cutting off at power settings of 8-10; and if I'm running along at around 5+ power setting, the motor tends to reduce speed, then come back up every so often.

Is this a wiring issue, as I've read in some other similar posts? Seems kinda odd to have wiring problems only after 4 or 5 months of operating the boat...and it seems odd to have worked fine for 95% of the trips, then to start acting up all of a sudden. I've checked the battery connections, and all seem to be snug.

Thanks for any guidance!

Update: Tonight, with the boat on the trailer in my yard, before I put the cover on it, I deployed the trolling motor, and played around with various speeds...and it ran like a champ. :confused: I tried 0 to Max (by pressing the max speed button). Increased the speed incrementally all the way up and all the way back down, and held it at various speeds trying to get it to function like it did the past couple of times in the water...never could get it to mess up....so I don't know what the problem is.

You did not have a load on it when running it on the trailer...just pushing air..put a meter on the battery wires when the boat is in the water and failing......get back to us on the readings..

Check all battery connections for corrosion. Check your plug for corrosion. Pull the receptacle out and check for loose or corroded connections. I had a similar problem. I was getting 24v at the plug outlet. But amp load was dropping during use. Turned out to be a bad crimp and corrosion at battery.

Back