Logo

Damper Plates

"I've lost 5 or 6 transmis

"I've lost 5 or 6 transmissions over the last 4 years, which appear to have been caused by damper plate failure. I've got a 40' Cruisers with two Crusaders HO 475 hp engines and BW transmissions. My mechanic doesn't know what's causing the damper plates to blow. Any ideas."

"which BW gear?

Engines rea

"which BW gear?

Engines really rated at 475HP?

Agree with Jeff, high idle speed will beat them up quick. High RPM engagement will do it too."

"Thanks for your replies. The

"Thanks for your replies. The engines both run smoothly and don't idle high. I've been real careful about high rpm engagement and that hasn't happened.

My engines are the 8.1 HO's. I've got 5000 series BW transmissions. For the first few failure I was using the 862975A2 damper plate which is what Mercruiser says is to be used for the 5000 series. Crusaders paper manual said the same thing, but after several failures (in which the housing was punctured) my mechanic called Crusaders and they said the paper manual was wrong and that their internet manual was correct and said that the 860125T damper plate should be used. Although my mechanic thought that plate was only to be used with a 72c trans, he put two in. I got a few hours before one of them failed, although it didn't blow the housing or destroy the transmission. We don't know what to do at this point.

Again, any ideas would be most appreciated."

I'd get on the phone with

I'd get on the phone with Crusader and not hang up 'til they resolved the problem.

Jeff

"Don't know the details bu

"Don't know the details but can tell you Crusader doesn't 'package' those 5000 gears with anything anymore.....Maybe its the gears taking out the damper plates and not the other way around.

I like Jeff's approach but think it will take more than one call to resolve this one. I'm thinking after 4(+) years, you may not get much, if any, help.

I'd start looking for some ZF or HURTH gears..."

Back