Logo

1986 mercury 60hp

Mattl468

Contributing Member
I just bought a boat with a 60hp mercury. Currently you have to put it in gear and ease the throttle to get it to go. If you give it throttle too fast the engine will die. The boat was only going 3000rpm at full throttle. I took the cover off and held my hand over each carb to make sure it was firing on all cylinders. I did one carb at a time and noticed change in rpms when i cover each one. After that the boat was able to go up to 4000 rpms. I got to the fishing spot and turned it off. When I left it would only go to 3500 rpms. Any idea what the problem could be

If that's a triple, they are notorious for bogging on throttle up. Try adding 1/2 turn OUT on each idle mixture screw.

Jeff

Any ideas about the other problem. It almost feels like its not going in gear all the way. I tested compression and its 105 on all 3 cylinders. I think it could be a carb problem or lower unit issues. What do you think thanks

Unless your tester reads low, that's not good compression--about 130 to 150 is normal. Can you try another tester?

If the lower unit was not grabbing in gear, you'd know it! Try my crab fix and get back to us.

Jeff

I cleaned the carbs tonight and adjusted the idle screw like you said. I also drained the lower unit fluid and there were a few small metal pieces on the magnet is this normal. Tomorrow I am going to refill the lower unit fluid. Also i have a extra empty tank that im going to put new gas in to make sure that wasn't the issues. Any other sugesstion before I take it out? Also will retest compression tomorrow when i borrow another gauge

Well I think I got it fixed. It stopped shutting off. The issue with it not getting full power was a bad tank connector. Now it goes 4500 rpm and goes about 30 mph. Im going to see about a new prop to get more speed. Thanks for your help

Jeff, doesn't a 1" pich change, change your rpm by about 200.

If so, then, since he is currently running 4500 rpm at WOT. I would expect that his motor is designed for 5200 - 5500 at WOT.

I would think a 12 or 13 pitch would be a better choice.

Back