Logo

7 BEEP alarm before ignition-start HELP!!

DonPeterD

I have a second hand Mariner 60 EFI Bigfoot 2006 that I haven't even been out sailing with yet, and it drives me nuts already.

It had some wear and tear, so I decided to give it a overhaul. Opened the low pressure fuelpump. Fine.
Started fine.
Checked plugs and gap, needed adjusting to the 1mm.
Started fine.
50% oil. Topped it up with 700ml to 100%
Pulled the thermostat out, was caked with salt. Rinsed it out, ran it with the just the cover on, no thermostat for 10 mins in radiator cleaner in a tank. This cleans extremely well by the way.
Started fine.
Went home from the workshop with a smile, this was going so well.

Then this morning when I turned the key to ignition, not start! It gave me 7.. not 5 or 8 - 7 beeps. It says nothing of 7 beeps alarm nowhere!??? I interpreted it must have meant 6 beeps, and as the manual states, sensor alarm, will run anyhow.
So I tried to fire it up. Barely came on and stalled out. It has ALWAYS sprung to life with forceful power.
Second time it came on, but sounded precisely as a ice cold old carbureted engine, about to stall out, had to pull fast idle. Ran for five mins. Turned it off. Same scenario on second startup. Third time is video, it sounded like a spark came from the battery and turning key to start didn't do sheite, and I haven't had the balls to turn it a 4th time.

Between yesterdays run, and first today - the only thing I can think of is without power manually trying the throttlebody. Oh I read that it is picky with a bad ground, and after having the ignition coil-plate loose, in order to get to the plugs. I noticed upon reassembly, the groundwires were were loose. I do understand it sits in the rubberthingy for vibration dampening, but then the groundwires are loose. Like no connection loose. Thought I might have switched some of the 3 M6 bolts, for longer ones, checked the manual, they were right 30mm I believe. BUT I decided to put 25mm stainless bolts in, for the groundwires to have a solid connection.

What in the world are 7 beeps before start???

https://youtu.be/myktAdBMx0U

Last edited:
Had a look at the guardian codes and there is a note.

If you have a MAT sensor failure (6 beeps) those are in addition to the single beep which is normal on start-up.

The note reads "horn beeps once PLUS the failure code" - so sounds like you have a toasted sensor.

Had a look at the guardian codes and there is a note.

If you have a MAT sensor failure (6 beeps) those are in addition to the single beep which is normal on start-up.

The note reads "horn beeps once PLUS the failure code" - so sounds like you have a toasted sensor.

Something isn't right, alright :) but how can it toast over night? And how can it know it is toasted - when not running?
On the following pages in the manual it says how to test the sensors - it could be another as I read it. All the possible scenarios is WITH engine running or trying to run it. Not one with just ignition no start alarm. Hope it isn't the ECM ��

Attachments

• IMG_1831.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Hmmm.. My fuse by the voltage regulator is blown.. like melted!
i have once reversed polarity, and blown the diode.
But after changing the diode a month ago, it worked fine, up until now. Never checked the fuse before now though.

Last edited:
Looking at your chart there, which looks identical to the one I was looking at in the service manual there is a little "star" * beside the MAT sensor (and no others unless they are including the MAP, as in the first two sensors with the star.

When you look at the notes below that chart it tells you that you will get the 1 start-up beep PLUS the error (6 beeps from the sensor not reading properly). So that's most likely your seven beeps.

The regulator and the fuse is would suspect is a separate issue but could have contributed to the bad sensor reading. Without the proper test equipment/software you may not be able to test a sensor in your driveway.

And how can a sensor toast "overnight" - they do it all the time. They tend to work "perfectly" until they don't - they don't "start going" (at least not that you get any indication of) - they work and then the next time, they don't and you get your "beeps" or the "check engine light" on your car :)

Back