Logo

1973 silverton 30b with 2 318bs need guidance

maxxumnys

"Hello all,

I purchased thi

"Hello all,

I purchased this vessel about a month ago. It was at marina getting minor things fixed. Marina got engines started. We took boat about 3 miles to where my dock is.

the problem:
When I got close to the dock I lowered RPM and both motors stalled. I got one started back up but the other did not start. The batteries ran down low but even with a jump starter I cannot get them running. They definitely have spark.

I am hoping it just might be a water in fuel issue or something like that. There is no fuel gauge but it had 20 gallons put in right before I left the marina. Could it use 7 gallons per mile and I might be out of gas?

The boat was on the ocean when I bought it but it has not been run regularly.

So... MY questions:

1. What are typical things that would cause these motors to stall so easily?

2. What type of gas mileage should I expect?

Any other suggestions for a total newbie to owning one of these boats?

thank you in advance!

- Maxx"

Id give them a good tuneup won

Id give them a good tuneup wonder how long it sat the carbs could be gummy and need a good cleaning also I hope you didnt use 7gpm also check the fuel filters maybe the one on that side is spent....Good tuneup

"It amazes me that marinas--an

"It amazes me that marinas--and some boat buyers--think they can just jump in, fire the motors and drive away! Boats, unlike cars, tend to sit for months at a time in a moist environment, and with open (vented) fuel tanks. Then there's proper storage, with stabilizers and full (or empty) fuel tanks--many owners ignore this necessary practice.

Lecture over! At a minimum you'll have to change/ drain the water separators, change filters (possible several times), and get the carbs rebuilt. The reason it won't start is that the plugs are fouled, so they'll need to go as well.

On gas mileage expect 8 to 9 GPH at a sensible cruise rpm.

Jeff"

"Jeff,

Come on man... don&#

"Jeff,

Come on man... don't flame me... I'm here for help. I knew going into this that the project would require a lot of tinkering. I am here asking because I found this forum and thought it would be a great help.

In any case... thanks for the advice. Fuel filters were changed already and a lot has been done. I will do many other changes soon.

There is no shore power yet so the batteries are not fully charged and I'm using one of those jump box thingys to boost it. The batteries are brand new but have lost juice already.

- David"

"I agree that you should do a

"I agree that you should do a major tune-up. Replace the plugs, points, condenser, distributor cap, rotor and spark plug wires. I replaced the points, condenser and coil with Pertronix Ignitor II, and flame thrower coil (marine). They work great and are relatively easy to install.

My 1972 LM 318's were not started for over 2-1/2 years while it was undergoing major fiberglass/wood/epoxy repairs.

During that period the gas went bad even though it had PRI-G in the tanks. The alcohol in the fuel deteriorated the inside of the fuel lines, dissolved non-metal parts in the Carter AFB's plus one of the fuel pumps and caused water/fuel separation to occur.

I removed the old gas, had the fuel tanks cleaned, filled up with fresh gas, treated the gas with Startron like "stuff", replaced the gaskets on the fuel fill lids, installed new Edelbrock carbs, replaced all the fuel hoses with USCG approved Type 1A hose, replaced the fuel filters, and replaced the mech fuel pumps with electric pumps. This was expensive to do. The engines now start but the carbs need adjustment.

I read in Soundings that a guy in Florida is starting a class action suit against the oil companies because they added alcohol to gas but did not warn anyone what would happen to their fuel tanks, hoses and carbs.

Good Luck!"

"..."I read in Soundings t

"..."I read in Soundings that a guy in Florida is starting a class action suit against the oil companies because they added alcohol to gas but did not warn anyone what would happen to their fuel tanks, hoses and carbs."

Tragically, THEY are not responsible for this! It's the Federal government that arbitrarily--without consulting anyone or having public hearings (for obvious reasons)--stuffed "evil-nol" down our throats. But you can't sue the Federal government, so...

Hey, if you think 10 % ethanol is bad, wait ''til 15 % gets here--and it's coming!

Jeff"

Back