Logo

Synthetic 2 cycle marine oil

Hello guys, I am a new member and fairly new to boating. Fortunately I am a good mechanic and see no problem working on boat motors. My question is this, I use synthetic motor oil in all of my cars, trucks, and motorcycles and I firmly beleive that it really helps the longevity of 4 cycle engines.
So now I have a boat that was given to me, and have found a nice little 1976 55 hp Sea Horse motor to go on it, I am wondering if synthetic 2 cycle oil is all that beneficial in that type of motor.
Since a 2 stroke basically burns up the oil, it seems to me that synthetic oil being more expensive than standard marine oil may be a waste of money.
So does anybody here use synthetic marine oil and does it make a difference?

Nothing that's going to make you go "Wow, I'm glad I spent the cash on that stuff!" But some synthetics will help in smoke reduction. I'm with you that synthetics are the way to go, and I run it in everything I own. If I was to recommend a synthetic to you, it'd be Amsoil. It's not going to hurt you, but you might question the validity of the cost differential. All I can tell you is go what you're confident in. If synthetics are the way you do your dance, then there's no reason to change the steps of the dance. Know what I mean?

----------" A 2 stroke basically burns up the oil "--------------Not sure what is meant by that statement !!-------- Oil in a 2 stroke lubricates parts the same way as it does in any machine.-------It coats all the parts in order to lubricate ( seperate ) the moving parts.----After it is done that job it is expelled from the motor and seen as smoke.

agree on no pennzoil...i had a generator on my house boat roof at one time...the last few inches of gas feed was a clear line and i could see the gas feed...i used to put a tad of outboard motor oil in the gas tank sometimes...one day i was up there just watching and piddling and i notice globs of oil feeding thru the line...that frigging oil was not mixing with gas even though i had tried to mix it properly...that was the last pennzoil i used for anything... sorry about that Arnold Palmer...during that time i was running the merc 50,s...one of the best motors ever built...after i traded the first the dealer told me later it had a cracked ring...the 2nd scored a piston..i was not surprised...

i run merc or evinrude tcw3.....considering the cost of a new motor and the pain of damaging one i dont care what others say...the oil may be the same of walmart oil but i dont know that....and if i look at the percentage of the total cost of a trip why take the chance?

I've always heard Pennzoil products have basically wax as part of their lubricant package. Don't know how true that is as I'm not a chemist. Parafin wax to be specific.

I don't know who distributes the Wal Mart branded Super Tech oils, but I do know that Quicksilver (Merc) was at one point the maker of the Lubrimatic brand of two stroke oil. I used to run that stuff in an old V4 Evinrude I used to own and noticed a decrease in smoke at idle and WOT.

Well after much pondering, I am going to use Johnson XD-50. It is a semi synthetic, and has anti carbon formulas in it. I think it will be good enough for the old Sea Horse!

I have been running the Walmart Super Tech oil in my old motors. It smokes less than the Pennzoil, and is $5 a gallon cheaper. I have not tried any synthetic or semi synthetics. I might give it a try to see how it does with smoke, especially on the 16:1 motors.

Back