Logo

have a question i cant seem to get a straight answer on

muddinred

can i use a chevy v-8 marine block,crank,and pistons for auto use i have built one and have a vibration in it.Is this because they are internaly balanced and the flywheel has weights on it or what could be my problem?Thanks

The bottom end of a chevy marine engine will work just fine on dry land...most were spawned from truck applications.

Regarding the vibration and independent of the auto or marine label, the crank, the balancer, and the flywheel need to be "matched" as to their dynamic balancing approach...a good machine shop should be able to identify what you have and what you need to make it all work.

You do not mention which engine you have built..... 5.0L, 5.7L, or a 377/383.

FYI; the SBC 400 crankshaft harmonic balancer plays a role in balancing the 400 crankshaft.
I don't know if the 400 balancer will even work on the 5.0L or 5.7L crankshaft......., but if you were to mix/match this balancer with a 5.0L or 5.7L, you may have issues.

ive tried a smaller one and a larger one i have many parts and im not sure which one is which but with both of them i have the same issue

ive tried a smaller one and a larger one i have many parts and im not sure which one is which but with both of them i have the same issue

Ayuh,.... Post some pictures of what ya got to work with,....

The 350 is an internally balanced motor....

The flywheel, 'n balancer should have No counter-weights...

so i need to bring them the motor my balancer and flywheel? correct for them to b matched
If you have a machine shop balance the rotating assembly, yes.... they'll need all of the components.
All pistons and all connecting rods must be within a certain weight of one another in order to correctly balance a rotating assembly.

Is it possible that you may have one piston or one connecting rod that is not a match?
Is the deck height equal for each cylinder?
Is it possible that you have a drive coupler that could be out of balance?

Any machine shop that does this routinely will know exactly what to do.

Back