Logo

19?? Evinrude 4 hp

They just do not want to be bothered by those calls today.----The CO makes it a 1985 model.----Every boat shop knows that !

I didn't call. I went in to order a tilt release knob. They could not find the model number in their system. And then of course, the 1985 4hp does not look like mine. I fact it does not have the release knob. My motor looks exactly like a 6 horse motor. Did they make different models for different countries? The reason I ask is because the fuel ratio is 100:1. I'm assuming that's metric. I was wondering if this motor was made for Canada

??------100:1 is a ratio.--------Nothing to do with metric measurement.-----And you should run it at 50:1 ratio.------Calling or dropping in asking that information is still interupting a busy shop.------Are you sure that it is CO or could it be CD for an 86 model.------Motor was likely assembled in BELGIUM.

Last edited:
It wasn't a shop. Boat dealer with a parts desk, and shop in back. Two dedicated parts salesmen. Older and I'd assume with some experience. They looked at the pictures and read the model number themselves. I wasn't interrupting anything but their sandwich. I'm new to this site. It doesnt appear to be mobile friendly. If I could get pictures to upload I could show you what I'm talking about. Other than this knob being broke off it looks brand new. But nothing like a 85 4hp. Looks like a 6 horse and to sticker say 100:1. I'm running it at 50:1

Last edited:
I need some help identifying my outboard year. The local dealers have no idea what it is. The model number is BE4RDHCOB.

It wasn't a shop. Boat dealer with a parts desk, and shop in back. Two dedicated parts salesmen. Older and I'd assume with some experience. They looked at the pictures and read the model number themselves. I wasn't interrupting anything but their sandwich. I'm new to this site. It doesnt appear to be mobile friendly. If I could get pictures to upload I could show you what I'm talking about. Other than this knob being broke off it looks brand new. But nothing like a 85 4hp. Looks like a 6 horse and to sticker say 100:1. I'm running it at 50:1

The model number indicates that

B= made in Belgium
E= Evinrude
4= 4 hp
R= Rope start
D= Deluxe model ........ has RNR gears and cowling and exhaust housing that looks the same as 6 & 8 hp models
H= Does not have integral fuel tank
CO =1985
B = a production suffix

Any half decent dealer or Evinrude parts supplier should be able to identify it.

(If it was a 1986 model ITYWF that the suffix letter wilould be E)

As stated above it should be run on 50:1 fuel mix. The 100:1 decals should have been removed and the owners manual amended to reflect this many years ago.

Not sure but you may not be able to up load pictures because you are a new member

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll order the part I need based on a 6 horse.

What parts do you need. It may not be the part same as the 6 hp model ... It wont be if its a power head part

Always quote the full model number when ordering parts. The dealer I use always asks for it !

I cant up load a picture either... I have it in a 1985 brochure

I need the tilt knob. The plastic tab is broke off on mine making next to impossible to turn by hand. It's labeled # 66 on the exploded drawing of an 85 6hp motor.

That's it. The motor on the left without the internal tank. Thanks. I'm going to order the part from the 6 hp version. I have yet to find a site that recognizes my model number

That's it. The motor on the left without the internal tank. Thanks. I'm going to order the part from the 6 hp version. I have yet to find a site that recognizes my model number

The "D" version first appears in the model number lists in 1984 but not in the parts catalogs until 1986

If having difficulty with parts you could try Oakley marine (aka Outboards direct) in the UK . They say they can supply world wide.
http://www.outboards-direct.co.uk/page.aspx?m=OUTBOARD SPARE PARTS

Last edited:
Back