Logo

Lister petter AC1W

valleyofghosts

"when launched the engine was

"when launched the engine was running well,noticed that the little filter that bolts onto the engine frame was leaking so because i still have the main filter i removed this one and ran a new fuel line straight from the lift pump to injector pump. The system was bled.Now the engine will turn over but wont start?Does anyone know if this filter which is mounted above the height of injector pump acts as a fuel pool to supply the pump? Any advice would be very welcome....thanks"

Re: "when launched the engine was

"when launched the engine was running well,noticed that the little filter that bolts onto the engine frame was leaking so because i still have the main filter i removed this one and ran a new fuel line straight from the lift pump to injector pump. The system was bled.Now the engine will turn over but wont start?Does anyone know if this filter which is mounted above the height of injector pump acts as a fuel pool to supply the pump? Any advice would be very welcome....thanks"

There is a bleed screw on the injection pump. Loosen it slightly then prime with lift pump. Tighten screw. WARNING this engine is usually cooled by seawater and the cylinder head often corrodes. The part is no longer available. Allegedly the heads corrode even in freshwater as it is thought that the shockwave created when the engine fires causes cavitation corrosion. CHECK ANODES at the very least. Westerbeke built a version of this engine that used a heat exchanger. Far superior as anti-freeze with corrosion inhibitor and radiator sealer can be used. The last AC1Ws were built in 1985 so will be 25 years old at least so one can hardly complain about the lifespan, nevertheless it is a great shame to have to scrap an engine just for one bad part. Incidentally a much raved about Japanese engine of similar size uses an iron head on an iron barrel. This helps prolong gasket life. Unfortunately the engine is raw water cooled and allegedly heads have been known to become porous (i.e. scrap) in about ten years (the water injected exhaust elbows don't even last ten years) Raw water cooling may be OK in massively thick metalled "antique" engines, those heavy old thumpers but IMHO it is a disaster. As to outboard motors, these can also suffer as the alloy head and block can become porous and crumbly. Good luck!

Back