Logo

Ignition problem

Markmas

Hey guy’s,
i have a 1989 Larson stern drive with a 165 hp Mercruiser which won’t start with the key I can start it useing a jumper on the celunoid. I took the ignition assembly of and tried to start it by jumping the ignition wires from the ignition assembly but had no luck. Any suggestions on what might be the problem?
Thanks
Mark

Any suggestions on what might be the problem?
I have a 1989 Larson stern drive with a 165 hp Mercruiser

There's the problem right there! Check ALL THE CONNECTIONS. An old boat will have corrosion issues. Replace switch if needed.

12V from key switch to "start" position sends 12V to the slave solenoid first, the slave sends 12V to the main solenoid on the starter

12V from key switch to "start" position sends 12V to the slave solenoid first, the slave sends 12V to the main solenoid on the starter

I replaced the slave solenoid, do you have a suggestion about what could be causing the ignition key to not start the boat?

Any suggestions on what might be the problem?
I have a 1989 Larson stern drive with a 165 hp Mercruiser

There's the problem right there! Check ALL THE CONNECTIONS. An old boat will have corrosion issues. Replace switch if needed.

I will clean the connections and the key switch if necessary.
Thanks

You need 12v from the wiring to the "B" post of the starter, with key on, you need 12v to the "I" terminal , in start you need 12v to the "S" terminal
If you dont have a meter use a test light or make one from a panel light

go to the starter and jump the yellow/red wire to the main post with the battery cable. Starter must spin or you have a cable connection issue, main solenoid issue or a bad starter

I cleaned all the connections and realized wires were on the solenoid wrong. Thanks for the help there were some badly corroded connections and a couple loose.

This is just me, but after I clean all the connections I slob a ton of good old fashioned grease on them to protect them from moisture. So old school.

Back