Logo

150 HP carbed two stroke

Nucad

Regular Contributor
I'm in the market for a Mastercraft Barefoot 200. Originally these were equipped with carbed Yamaha 200 HP motors. They built them from 91 to 95. One I am considering has a 2006 V Max 3.3 litre. Another has a carbed 150 HP (not sure the year model yet). The third (ANd least interested in) has a 1984 Yamaha 200.
I don't really need the top end on this boat, as it will be used to pull 1 intermediate skier at speeds well below any of these motors capabilities. I am assuming the 150 weighs the same as the original 200. I have a friend with a 225 2007 Two stroke on his and the extra weight has caused some spray issues.

What is your opinion of the 150 Yamahas of the mid 90's? Thanks in advance.

The 150hp 2-strokes weight the same as the 200hp motors as far as I remember, they were pretty much the same motor ....

Going to check one tomorrow. Not sure I can get it in the marina for inspection. Will bring a compression gauge. Anything I have to know to perform the test? Wide open throttle, fresh battery? Do you disable the ignition to prevent a meltdown?
What numbers are ideal? One I recently looked at had 120 across the board.
Tia

You just pull the kill switch so the engine don't fire and start .... 120 is very good yes, as long as they are all very close to one another it is all good ....

Optimally the engine would be warm for the test. If there is a way to run it on muffs for 5-10 minutes prior to the test that would be great but that's not always possible. Engine hours... Who knows and sometimes a 2-stroke with low hours can present more probs than one with higher hours as 2-strokes MUST BE RUN and not allowed to sit. I think if you're in the 100-120 PSI range (120 is fantastic) tested with kill switch activated and throttle wide open you're looking good. The key is each cylinder's compression should be within the same 10% range so say 110 to 120 is good, 100 to 110 is good. Find 5 cylinders at 100-110 and 1 cylinder at 90 = Problem. I personally wound not be interested in the motor if compression on any cylinders is below 100 PSI but, then again, if all are between 95 and 105 that's a bargaining point as the engine is gonna run and there doesn't appear to be anything totally out of whack other than being a tired old engine if you're only going to put 25 or 50 hours a year on it it will get the job done at an absolute fraction of the price of something with all cylinders reading 100PSI+. Old engine with compression in that 95-105... tell him the carbs are all going to need to be pulled and cleaned for fear of a cylinder running lean that could leave you with one heck of an anchor, you don't know if he's been running ethanol blended fuel in it or not, fuel economy stinks... $500 is my best offer or someone else can take the risk as I'd pay $750 if all cylinders were north of 105PSI and I was only going to put less than 50 hours a year on it.

I'm very interested in hearing what others think on this issue before he buys!

Last edited:
Well I own the boat. I had a marine mechanic check it out and do the compression test. The foot is new, and all cylinders were around 113, with number 6 being at 109. The carbs were professionally cleaned in 2015, new fuel lines installed. The owner has had it since 2009 and always ran Ethanol free 91 octane with Yamalube and some Yamaha cleaner every third tank.
More importantly the budget is there for a repower should this motor grenade, which I doubt it will.
Even more importantly the Hull is in fantastic shape, with great original gel coat and two year old interior with the correct and very 90's Teal, Grey , Pink and White.
Not too many outboards made specifically for skiing, so very pleased with this boat.

Those numbers are good, just keep an eye on the no 6 cyl, but it shouldn't be a problem .... I would guess the motor have about between 250 - 300hrs on it with those readings. As long as you look after the motor it will last you a lifetime.

Back