Logo

1997 J25 Teleum cutting out at 3/4 to full throttle

N4ILZ

Hello All,

My wife and I just purchased a used 1997 Smoker-Craft with a J25 Teleum engine. The boat and engine are used, but have been kept very well, and we are the second owners of each. The problem is that the engine cuts out (like it's getting too much or not enough fuel) when the throttle gets to 3/4 or higher. The engine idles perfect, starts right up, and works like a champ under 3/4 throttle. I have changed out the fuel, checked the lines (which looked perfect on the inside), replaced the float, and gaskets in the carb, checked compression levels (which came out normal), replaced the battery (had troubles starting), and the water/cooling system works perfect. I have years of experience with carb vehicle motors, but this is my/our first marine engine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks
Dave.

I see that you haven't received a reply yet so I'll jump in here although I retired in 1991, am unaware of that engine design and circuitry, and have no idea what a "Teleum" engine is. However...........

If the problem you're having is that when you apply full throttle, the engine bogs down like it's running out of fuel, that is a common problem usually and normally caused by a fouled high speed jet or jets depending on how many carburetors that engine has if so equipped (fouled carburetor(s).

If engaging the choke temporarily at that point causes a momentary increase in rpms, that would strengthen my belief in the above.

Thanks guys for your replies. The "Teleum" I am refering to is the letters in the model number of the engine. If you decipher the Teleum letters it states this:

J= Johnson American Made
25= Horsepower
Te= Trim & Tilt - Electric Start
L= 20" shaft
EU= 1997 model
M= Johnson Production purposes, not used for consumer needs.

Any way, I took the boat out this weekend in the local bay and gave it a test the motor under actual working conditions. Which, it did perform OK, for an engine that is missing at FOT. I'm going to take it to the local marine mechanic to have it looked it, and I'll post their findings here. Once again, thanks guys.

Back