Logo

04 mercruiser 5.0 starts then dies

Mc00

Bought the boat last year from someone who told me they didn’t use it at all the previous year(turns out it’s been 2 1/2 years since use) Took the boat out 5-6 everything seemed to running smoothly. Winterized it at a local dealer. They had to replace the fuse on the starter and did a full service. I get the boy back and it starts and runs for about 3 seconds and dies. If I manually advance the throttle I can get maybe 7 seconds. It has fresh gas and a new oil pressure switch (fuel pump switch) From everything I’ve read online that or those wires seem to be the common cause. Also tried smacking the carburetor thinking the float was stuck. Just looking for any other tips or things to check before I bite the bullet and take it to a repair shop to sit 3/4 weeks for an easy fix.

I'd suggest you need to diagnose your problem ....

Assuming the engine is in decent mechanical condition, you are either loosing spark or fuel. A clamp on timing light should tell you if spark is present....and you can put a DVM on the fuel pump to see if it is running during an engine cycle....

I'd suggest you need to diagnose your problem ....

Assuming the engine is in decent mechanical condition, you are either loosing spark or fuel. A clamp on timing light should tell you if spark is present....and you can put a DVM on the fuel pump to see if it is running during an engine cycle....

wouldn't the boat not start at all if there was no spark?

Popped the air filter off and it was stuck open. Going to pull it back out of the garage and see.

manually closed it. Boat fired up and ran 30 seconds and died. Wouldn’t restart unless I pumped the throttle 5-10 times.

Just going to call around to shops tomorrow. Thanks for the tips guys.

Back