Logo

1994 Mariner/Mercury 115 HP ELPTO

bckevo

i am looking at a boat with this motor. any issues i should look for? any reviews positive or negative would be appreciated

bc kevo

I would perform a compression test on it no matter what! Engine should be warm, throttle wide open and all plugs removed. Trip the safety "dead man's switch to disable the ignition first. Good compression is near/above 120 PSI. It's important that compression for all cylinders is close to one another, i.e., 118, 120, 123, 124.

Finally, I would also insist on a water trial. Make sure the engine runs smooth, the gauges work and the trim/tilt works. Check out the age of the batteries and the condition of the trailer, particularly the tires (dry rot) and wheel bearings, both which can be used as bargaining chips. If the owner balks at anything--RUN!

JMHO

Throttle does not need to be open when compression testing on a 2 stroke.

That's correct if you just want to know if it has compression. However, with all due respect, I have found that there can be as much as an 11.5% lower compression reading with closed throttles. If I am buying a used engine then I want to know the maximum compression per cylinder. For the hell of it I just checked my 2002 115 HP ELPTO and got 108-109 PSI with the throttles closed vs. 124-125 PSI wide open. JMHO

people I see with the 115 hp both merc and yamaha seem to like them and they run good ( with the required maint)

I just bought a alum. triton deep vee with a 90 merc elpto, its loud but runs good.

Hi I have this motor and was looking at timing with the timing light running at idle and it’s 2deg after tdc is this correct. With out it running and just cranking it’s set to 2 deg before tdc. Any info would be appreciated.

This is a 2+2 engine which idles and runs up to 1800 rpm underload on the top two cylinders then the bottom two receive fuel over 1800 and she runs on all four. It takes a little getting used to. I have twins on my Aquasport and like them. Once you get them dialed in they run fine. Tiny trumpet I have the idle pickup timing set at 0 (tdc) and idle nice.

Back