Logo

Motor running backwards

"i just replaced my timer base

"i just replaced my timer base, stator, rec.. my motor is running backwards. how do i correct this problem? evinrude 200 1998 also does the fly wheel[under the fly wheel nut] have to be flush with the crack shaft shoulder? i have used an impact and cant seem to get it down any more."

How does it start running back

How does it start running backwards? Is the starter motor spinning it backwards right from the beginning?

Wrench

it seems to backfire and the f

it seems to backfire and the fly wheel turns in the oppsite direction. if you are looking at the motor from inside the boat the starter turns it clockwise and then it starts and chuggs and the fly wheel will be turning counter clockwise. when it does start up right it will being peeing and when it starts backwards it doesnt.

Did you put the flywheel on in

Did you put the flywheel on in the right place??? Is the flywheel key locating the flywheel properly?? Did you torque the flywheel nut???

the flywheel key is in alignme

the flywheel key is in alignment with shaft and flywheel. i have not used a torque on it yet. i was just concerned about the remaining distance that it looks like the fywheel has to go do. the flywhel nut will not seat on the shoulder on the crankshaft. does it need to be sitting on the shoulder?

"The flywheel must absolutely

"The flywheel must absolutely be torqued to factory specifications. ON that model, I believe iit is 145 foot pounds but check that figure.

DO NOT use an impact wrench!

I strongly suspect that you atrateed the engiine with having that flywheel nut torqued to less that factory specifications. This results in having the flywheel key shear, throwing the engine out of time. Usually this prevents the engine from running at all.

However in your case I suspect that the flywheel has spun to a point where the timing is such that the ignition is being engaged in a reverse manner which would cause the engine to run backwards.

Remove the flywheel. If the key is sheared even slightly, replace it with the proper part numbered key (not something from a hardware store), and torque the flywheel nut properly.

Note that the flywheel and crankshaft tapers must be cleaned if scored etc. Have the flywheel key aligned straight up and down, not aligned with the crankshaft taper."

i just took the flywheel off.

i just took the flywheel off. the key looks good. the is no evindence of shearing. i did notice my crankshaft has a little play in it. is it normal to have some play there. if not then i need to change the bearing? thinking back over the wiring and i found something i am not sure of now is the powerpack wirning to the coils. should the blue trace wire be on the top coil or second coil? could this turn the motor in reverse?

"there are some diodes on the

"there are some diodes on the motor. what do they do? i know they allow dc volts to go one way but why are they there and if they are bad would this cause it? seems like if they are bad it would start. well.... maybe in reverse? i did have a major melt down. stator,rec.. and i just replaced the timer just in case."

it has to be timing. check tim

it has to be timing. check timing. verify trigger/stator was installed correctly. seems like you are getting spark way before tdc

Back