Logo

1975 Ted Williams 7.5hp #217.585910 help

tsmith757

I got this motor about two weeks ago and it of course did not run at all. So i went ahead and rebuilt the carb, replaced fuel lines, spark plug, and gaskets. The motor will now start on second or third pull but will only run for about thirty seconds to a minute and then shuts off. It is getting plenty of gas and the impeller is working. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Any help is greatly appreciated. I have about torn my shoulder out of socket because i have pulled the cord so much.

When you rebuilt the carb did you make sure the open end of the needle valve clip was facing the choke? if not the needle can hang. many times this is your culprit....I also do a flip flop test after the rebuild....just flip the carb up and down to hear the float flop back and forth so I know the needle isn't hanging

Ok i flipped the clip around and it ran for a little longer but after about 2 minutes, gas starts spewing out of the hole on top of the carb. It is running through gas really quick and i cant figure out why.

sounds like the fuel pump element is split, did you replace that in your rebuild? some call it the duck bill...its made of orange rubber and need to be installed at a 45 degree angel or in other words the slot in it goes at 2 & 8 Oclock position

Attachments

• ES630953.jpg
    ES630953.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 453
Sorry i took so long to reply but i have been out of town and just had enough time to go take the carb off this afternoon. I did replace the duck bill when i rebuilt the carb and it did not have a rip in it that i could see. Is there anything else it could be? If not, i am going to order a new duck bill but i would not like to order anything i dont have to.

Is there anything else it could be?

Flapper valve could be installed bacwards, I would check my fuelpump for a split by placing to my lips and see if the slotted end will hold pressure, completely assembled you should be able to suck or blow (can't remember) on the fuel inlet and get a fluttering sound from the flapper. did you follow the tecumseh carb manual for your rebuild?

If you are running off a remote tank, you must close the top tank off so it will not suck air. I replaced my fuel lines with clear for just awhile ( because it gets hard and cracks) just to look for bubbles. Those bladders are fragile, and will split from a few lean pops. Saw Evinrude used them in a few applications. Your bubbly carb will probably need to come back out and shorten the float drop. Then blow threw the fuel line as you rotate the carb upside down. The passage should be blocked when upside down.

After all is said and done- and your convinced the carb is clean, regulated and working- look for excessive wet goop running down the drive shaft. You may have a bottom seal starting to give. Remove the lower turn the motor on it's head and spray much wd-40 down the housing till you soak the seal, then spin the motor and watch for bubbles. But that is another story.

Back