Logo

1997 90HP Force Lower Unit Forward Only

Paperboy

1997 90HP Force Lower Unit Forward
I replaced a lower unit. Lower unit was used, installed new water pump,impeller, and lower unit oil. After installation the propeller turns in forward gear, when shifted into reverse the propeller continues to turn forward. In neutral the propeller turns. I am assuming when the lower unit was side into place the shifter was in forward and gear unit was in reverse??? How do I get neutral, forward and reverse gear?
Thanks

After thinking about it, a possible answer to my post.

Pull the lower unit while throttle/shifter is in neutral. Turn the lower unit spline until the lower unit propeller shaft turns both ways forward and reverse and reinstall lower unit.....Check to make sure when installing the lower unit the shift rod to spline is going into the lower unit spline and not misaligned. Meaning rod is not aligned standing outside the lower unit spline. Can you get the lower unit in nuetral by turning the shift spline without messing up splines???

After getting lower unit in neutral and slide unit back into motor. The forward and reverse began shifting correctly. Took some time to get it right.

Back