Logo

Problem with OMC sterndrive

E

Eric Russell

" Hoping you guys out there mi

" Hoping you guys out there might know the answer to this. I have an OMC stern drive on a 1984 Beechcraft attached to an OMC 302. When we got the boat we were told there was a problem with the drive outright, so I never ran it in the water. He couldn't tell me what was wrong(broken English).

It goes into gear forward and reverse. When the engine starts very limited water flows out from the exhaust and infact there is still pressure holding the flow back because it continues to spray out the sides of the hose clamp. Also...when the engine is running the water flows out a little from the exhaust by the prop, but the prop does not turn. On my Mercruiser outdrive the prop slowly turned itself when running. Is this driven by the flow of water? or is that just a difference between the Mercruiser and OMC drives?

I am thinking internal waterpump must be dead or jammed up. Any ideas? Anyone have schematics for this drive unit?

Thanks,

Eric "

"Eric,
1st issue, very little

"Eric,
1st issue, very little water flowing out sounds like a blockage in the exhaust. Check to see if there is a bird nest or mud caked into the transom port. Could even be that the flappers are stuck. I assume you have a water hose hooked to it since you said you haven't put it in the water. The pressure from the hose should cause water to flow freely. Even if the engine water pump isn't working properly, water should still flow through the exhaust manifolds.
2nd issue, (I'm not positive because its' an 84' and I only know 86' and latter)if it is in neutral, the prop should turn freely but not by force from the engine. If it is turning a little when the engine is running, it could just be from vibration. The way it works is that the pinion gear (verticle shaft in the lower housing) is always turning when the engine is running. By putting it in gear, you are simply engaging the fwd or reverse gear into the pinion gear by sliding a "clutch dog" either fwd or aft on the prop shaft (horizontal shaft in lower housing). Click this link to see a good breakdown of an 86' outdrive.
Good luck,
CJ

http://216.37.204.206/Actionsports/omc_oem/OMC.asp?Type=13&A=3&B=10"

IF TIS BEEN RUN IN SALT WATER

IF TIS BEEN RUN IN SALT WATER CHANGE MANIFOLD/ RISER/ THERMOSTAT. AND CHECK HOSE ROUTING. WITH WATER FLOW PROBLEMS OR OVERHEATING I ARBITRARILY CHANGE THOSE ITEMS ON A NEW PURCHASE.

IT'S ALSO AUTOMATIC FOR ME TO CHANGE THE RAW WATER FEED IMPELLER ON ANY NEW PURCHASE.

USE CAUTION.

STEVE

Back