Logo

Whitish raw cooling water output with sheen

S

Steve Chafe

" Hi All,

I have a 1981 Wel

" Hi All,

I have a 1981 Wellcraft 28' with 2 gasoline inboards. I'm having 2 big problems with my Starboard engine: first, the raw cooling water leaving the exhaust tube has a very white, almost opaque, tint as it hits the surrounding water, and then from this whitish water, oily sheen rises up to the surface.

The other issue is that it stalls over 2K rpm, in and out of gear.

Has anyone seen such a combination before? I'm hoping to deal with the stalling problem by cleaning the carb and possibly the fuel tanks, but I am afraid it may be related to the whitish output water.

Thanks! "

Sounds like a muffler problem

Sounds like a muffler problem. Spray the carb with Gumout and she will be fine.

"Hello Steve.

Check your en

"Hello Steve.

Check your engine oil.
Does the engine run fine at idle?
Has the engine overheated?
Check to see if the inside of the exhaust hoses at the risers are burned or collapsed inside. Let us know what you find.
[email protected]"

" oily exaust water could be f

" oily exaust water could be from either a very rich running engine which could be related to the stalling problem. or a comprised oil cooler. (trany, powersteering or engine.) are you useing fluides ? Rich could be a number of things. Start with compression test. No point rebuilding carbs if internal problems exist.If compression good - what do the spark plugs look like when removed? any water - or raw gas -Ignition problems ~ Manifolds gone. If burn on all plugs equal then go to carbs. "

Thanks Everyone! Lots of thin

Thanks Everyone! Lots of things to try. I'll reply as soon as I've been able to try some of these suggestions.

Steve

" Just went through this with

" Just went through this with a gas genset.
The whitesh exhaust was unburned fuel due to carbon fouled plugs (2 out of 3)

changed the plugs, and rebuilt the carb for good measure.

runs like a top now. "

Back