Logo

Repainting outdrives

J

Jos Bekkers

" I just purchased a 50ft scar

" I just purchased a 50ft scarab meteor and need to re-paint the outdrives, corrosion has set in, they are not leaking yet. I will replace the input and propshaft seals while I have them of. My questions are:
* Can I sand blast the drives or is that a no-no
* What is the best primer and putty
* What is the best paint to use

Any other tips welcome,

Jos "

" Jos, You can lightly sand sw

" Jos, You can lightly sand sweep the outdrive with fine sand, that will give you a good profile for the paint to addhere to. I have had good results from zinc primer. Then I would use the outdrive paint and the anti-fouling paint. There are filler metals that I am famuliar with and have used on big pump housings but never on a outdrive. They are Belzonna and Phila Bond. They have worked great in the pumps. Things to keep in mind are, the zinc primer is a sacrifitial zinc like the zincs on the outdrive. Check your continnuity wires on the unit. Make sure there are no stray currents running thru the outdrive, causing the corrosion. If there is a battery switch, use it or install one. Do not paint the zincs on the unit. Let me know how you make out. Stan "

" This message is in reference

" This message is in reference to Stan Davis's reply on September 8, 2000.

My 1995 26' Albermarle stern drive and housing (Volvo Penta)have corroded to the point where I have to replace them. My boat has been serviced by an "allegedly" professional marina since my purchase. I have also spent an enormous amount of money on preventative maintenance and have not skimped on maintenance (i.e zincs). Last year the marina sanded and painted the stern drive and housing. This did not prevent the total loss of my drive. What are the continuity wires on the unit and how do you test for stray current? Is this a common problem? Who would be the best person for troubleshooting this problem?

Kurt S. "

" It sounds as if you leave th

" It sounds as if you leave the boat in the water for extended periods of time at a marina. There are a lot of issues to explore. Do you leave the batteries on a charger while at the marina? This could be a problem with stray currents or recersed polarity of the AC power. A boat nearby, with this problem, could also be the source. Submerged metal, below your boat could cause damage, and a submerged battery would surely cause problems. Your drive should already have continuity circuits-have them checked. You probably need to replace your mechanic with a certified one. Mercruiser makes a corrosion control device called Mercathode-try it. It WILL work on your boat.
Good Luck,
Tom "

" NOTHING PERKS UP MY EARS LIK

" NOTHING PERKS UP MY EARS LIKE CORROSION ON OUTDRIVES. I WENT AROUND IN CIRCLES FOR 6 YEARS ON MY TWIN ENGINE FOUR WINNS UNTIL I FIGURED OUT THAT WHEN BOAT WAS PREPPED THE THRU HULL FOR FOR TOILET WAS PAINTED ALSO HENCE THE THRU HULL WAS BEING CHARGED BY COPPER COAT ANTI FOULING AND THIS IN TURN CHARGED THE BONDING SYSTEM WHICH IN TURN CAUSED CURRENT TO DISCHARGE THRU OUT DRIVES LONG STORY MADE SHORT,LEAVE A ONE INCH BUFFER AROUND THRU HULLS WHERE NO ANTI FOULIG PAINT IS TO BE APPLIED "

Back