Logo

Diesel in oil perkins 4108

scansler

" I have discovered diesel in

" I have discovered diesel in my oil. I changed the lift pump and no help. I realize the injection pump is next in line for seal replacement. However, I have further discovered that the diesel invasion in the oil takes place after the engine has run and let set for several hours. Would the injection pump leak diesel only when it has run and not while it is running? Anyway, if the injection pump is the culprit I have not worked on this before, any advice or info would be appreciated.
Steve "

" If the pump shaft seal is go

" If the pump shaft seal is going, it is more likely that leaking would take place when running as well as after shut down. I believe the 4108 has a CAV injector pump - replacement of the shaft seal either requires a special tool or a great deal of care to properly install and seat the seal. Have you ruled out that your oil contamination is not caused by one or more injectors leaking down from residual system pressure. "

i suggest you remove the inje

i suggest you remove the injector pump and have it serviced.... i had the same trouble with my bukh dv20 engine

the trouble may be the cold s

the trouble may be the cold start not shutting off propley causing fuel to run in constantly and down the bores

"I have a similiar problem wit

"I have a similiar problem with fuel in the oil. It only happens when the engine is cold, as I can change the oil when hot and it will run all day and not take on a drop. Could this be the "non sutting off of the cold start" and if so how do I stop it?"

"Here's the story...
My M

"Here's the story...
My M 4108 was 'run' on water by mistake... somebody had left the deck plate open in a downpour. Since then (or so it appears) I have had large amounts of diesel entering the sump, thinning up the lube oil and raising the level to the effect that at some point the engine runs away (surges) on that mix.
I have now replaced the fuel lift pump and a somewhat drippy injector, hoping that might cure it. In the meantime, wondering what else could possibly cause the problem.
Thanks for a list of potential culprits!"

"This thread documents most th

"This thread documents most things that can cause this. Primarily lift pump diaphragm, and injector pump end seal. Not sure about the cold start referred to. I would suggest "large amounts" would most likely be injector pump, as it has force fed diesel that will go straight through at high volumes (fed by the lift pump) if the seal if faulty. You could remove the injector pump, hang it loose and reconnect the fuel feed line and operate the manual lift pump handle to see if fuel flows out the end. I imagine it will be obvious.
Let us know the outcome."

Your problem is the injector pump as stated earlier. Whether the seal was leaking or not once you put water through it, it should be overhauled. Water is not a good lubricant and the clearances are very fine, the seal most likely started to leak from corrosion due to the water. If want to avoid problems at sea, have the injector pump and the injectors rebuilt. The increased performance is worth it.

Back