Logo

Need a diagram for 89 Yamaha 225 marine outboard lower unit

virginia

" The lower unit was completel

" The lower unit was completely replaced in this motor 2 years ago and when I took it in for maintenance this past Saturday, they are telling me it need a new lower unit again.....this is the same shop that did the replacement a few years ago.....the boat will not go into reverse and I am being told it is becuase all the gears are out and the only way to repair it to replace the whole thing........????? I would like to see a diagram to tell what they are talking about.

Thanks-
~Virginia "

"Virginia,

Yamaha provides

"Virginia,

Yamaha provides a parts breakdown on their website: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/

Go to Parts and Service, then Outboard.

You will need to double check your year (or provide your model number here so someone can verify it for you). Neither the website or my Yamaha parts program show a 225 in 1989.

~Misty
~EK's Marine Service, Louisiana"

Check your shift shaft. I have

Check your shift shaft. I have a 1989 225 excel that the shift shaft corroded to the point that it would not go into reverse. The shaft is about $100 but you have to remove the power head to replace it. This is a common problem on the older motors. Many people have paid for lower unit rebuilds because of this. I think the newer motors use a stainless steel shift shaft.

Back