Logo

Mercury 175 hp Water from tattle tale only when hot

D

Doug Wood

" I've read a number of po

" I've read a number of posts on this site that say that the tattle tale is supposed to piss water at all times on these outboards. On my motor, I only get water out when the thermostat's open. Once I reach about 1800 RPM's the popit valve must open and I get plenty of flow hot or cold. I checked the water pressure @ the heads and it is fine (hot and cold), rebuilt the low idle cutoff (ie. poppit valve), installed new water pump and set up with feeler guage as recomended, and replaced all water lines just because I am somewhat of a maintenance nut..

I have reviewed the diagrams in detail and can not see any way, on an 89 motor, for the water to make it to the tattle tail without the therm. being open, or through the popit valve off idle.

The engine runs in the mid temp. range when idleing and cools right down as soon as I bring the RPM's up.

Should this be a concern?? "

"Doug,

Something is wrong.

"Doug,

Something is wrong. The purpose of the telltale is to indicate that the pump is working. I have worked on many of these engines and I have never seen what you describe. My guess is that the telltale hose or one of the water hoses is routed incorrectly.

Tony"

" Doug,

You might have a th

" Doug,

You might have a thermostat problem. They may be partly clogged or might be the wrong stats.

On this engine the thermostats are supposed to have a vent which allows some water to circulate even when the stats are closed. The vents must be clogged, or are not there.

Tony "

change pout the theromstats

change pout the theromstats

had same problem with my 1989 150 this year and i got to ream out the deler who CLAIMED TO HAVE CHANGED THEM ( the dealer gave me a 500.00 settlement when i was abler to prove they had never been changed prior to this year even though i paied for it.

if the stats are stuck there is no flow out the tattle tale

" Doug, I have the same proble

" Doug, I have the same problem on mine, if you were successful in any of these attempts, please post what you did to correct it. "

Back