Logo

89 Mercury 175 How do I set up oil injection pump

D

Doug Wood

" On this motor there is an ad

" On this motor there is an adjustable rod that goes from the carboretor linkage to the oil pump.
I just rebuilt the carbs, and want to make sure the engine is getting enough oil. I realize that this motor is supposed to run at 50:1 at idle and ramp up to 100:1 @ WOT. I've reviewed the two manuals that I have and it does not explain at all how to set this up.

Thanks in advance for any advice!! "

" According to the Mercury ser

" According to the Mercury service manual "When the carburetor linkage is at the idle position, alignment mark on oil injection arm should be in-line with mark on casting. If necessary, adjust link rod".
If you look at the oil pump, you should see one or two marks on the arm and a mark on the housing. Align the lower mark,on the arm, to the mark on the oil pump housing. Make sure all the carbs are completely closed and idle stop screw is against the block. "

" Thanks Marci,
that's h

" Thanks Marci,
that's how I set it up, I guess there is no way to confirm the flow rate of the oil pump without doing a fuel analysis on the gas in the bowls??

Thanks Again!! "

It is quite simple you hook u

It is quite simple you hook up a supply of mixed fuel.Then remove the discharge from the pump. At idle check the quantity of oil coming from the pump.I believe the book gives a value.

" Thanks James,
I guess that

" Thanks James,
I guess that answer was stareing me in the face. My book doesn't give a value on this but should be easy enough to figure out from a premeasured fuel source. "

mercury manuals give that spe

mercury manuals give that spec. For example the 3 cylinder 90 hp should put out a minimum of 18.7cc 700RPM when it idles for 15 minutes at 70 degrees f.I did not look it up for a 175 hp as the manual was not handy.

Back