Logo

Engine will not kill at ignition switch

J

Jeff Garris

" I have an '89 4.3 Mercru

" I have an '89 4.3 Mercruiser w/ thunderbolt IV ignition system. The engine (intermittently) will not kill when key is turned off. The switch checked good but was replaced anyway due to the intermittent nature of the problem. The engine eventually shuts itself off several minutes later if left running. Normally, I pull the plug on the wiring when I experience the problem. Any ideas ??? HELP... "

Check for loose or corroded c

Check for loose or corroded connections esp. on ground wires. Sounds as if the power is backfeeding thru an ungrounded item or connection. Also a shot of WD40 in and around the key switch will help displace moisture that may cause issues. Good Luck and let us know how you make out. Kim

NEXT TIME IT HAPPENS LOOK ON

NEXT TIME IT HAPPENS LOOK ON THE BACK OF THE ALTERNATOR YOU WILL FIND 2 SMALL WIRES WITH BULLET CONNECTORS. ONE WILL BE PRUPLE THE OTHER USUALLY GREEN. DISCONNECT THESE WIRES AND SEE IF ENGINE DIES. IF SO CHANGE ALT OR REGULATOR.

I have a 1986 90h yamaha it

I have a 1986 90h yamaha it will not shut off when i turn off switch or pull the kill switch .i took off all wires on switch didn't stop.???? help please

also on the 90 yamaha it star

also on the 90 yamaha it starts good but when you put it in gear it only runs about half speed no power

i have a 1985- 90h yamaha onl

i have a 1985- 90h yamaha only runs at about 1000rpm and won't shut off some times i've been told that it maybe the power pack is that the same as the CDI unit? i checked my plugs and two of them there was no spark i checked the coils and and they were ok it seams to be the CDI unit but it cost 339.00 anyone know of a cheaper one?thanks

i have a 1979 century 4000 wit

i have a 1979 century 4000 with a 350 chevy engine. just replaced th alternator and now the key will not shut the engine off. i replaced the ignition switch but that did not help.

Back