Logo

Need 1977 OMC Help

M

Matt Dutchess

"I have a 1977 OMC I/O. When

"I have a 1977 OMC I/O. When trying to start engine, I only get a "click", as if trying to start a vehicle with a low/dead battery. I have installed a brand new battery and brand new spark plugs. Is there anything I can check myself before taking it to the shop? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Many thanks in advance.
Help may also be sent to:

[email protected]"

" Matt.. Check the engine for

" Matt.. Check the engine for free rotation with a wrench, make sure it is not frozen/locked up from some type of corrosion. If that is ok look at all
electrical connections for loose or corrosion, if
that is ok then your starter solenoid may be bad
or the starter it self. "

" Matt,
I agree 100% with Ray

" Matt,
I agree 100% with Ray. The starters are very suseptible to corrosion and that is probably your problem. Pull it off and take it to AutoZone for a free test. Chances are, its' locked up. Been there three times in 7 years myself.

CJ "

" If your starter is bad, make

" If your starter is bad, make sure you get a MARINE replacement, I cannot emphasize this enough. Auto starters are not manufactured to be put in a closed environment with fuel fumes present. Serious damage to the boat and occupants occure when fumes from an unprotected automobile starter ignite under the confines of a marine instalment. "

I have a 1977 OMC four cylinde

I have a 1977 OMC four cylinder 120 hp that stalls as soon as i release the key. What causes this? It definately ignites when the key is turned as i can see exhaust but stalls when the key goes back to the run position.

Back