Logo

1999 25 hp mariner wonbt start

S

S. Vickery

" The motor started and ran bu

" The motor started and ran but quit after a short run. I then checked and replaced the plugs. It fired and ran briefly then stopped. I checked the fuel filter and found water. I removed the carb and cleaned it, emptied the gas tank, drained the hose and got new gas. Now it will not start. Any suggestions? "

" There are three basic functi

" There are three basic functions that have to be present in order for any motor to run. Fuel, Fire, and Compression.

Check compression to verify that nothing broke when you started it that first time.

Next, verify spark. Rig some sort of tester from the spark plug end of your wires and spin the motor over. The spark should jump a 7/16 gap with a really strong spark. Like a small bolt of lightning. A real snap.

If all of the spark proves good, then you move on to fuel. You mention that you checked the filter and found water. Did you replace the filter when cleaning the Carb, draining the hose and tank, and going back with new gas? If not then keep in mind that some filters (from my experience with ford cars) can actually have such a fine mesh that the water molecules, being larger than petrolium molecules, can actually stop up a filter, not to mention that if the filter was not stopped up and had water in it then you would simply fill the carb back up with water.

If you did replace the filter, Then consider what was done when you cleaned that carb. Did you clean it thoroughly using a solvent (working through every little nook and cranny and blow it out with compress air after)? Did you make sure your float is properly adjusted, and reassemble with new gaskets/packing. Have you adjusted your jets (if so equipped) to a good starting position? Try opening the low jet about 3/4 of a turn, and the high to about a 1/2 turn then work from there.

Once all of the above is covered you might look toward reed valves. If one of them broke then the back presure may not build in the crankcase to force fuel into the combustion chamber.

Start one step at a time, and come back with any questions along the way. By the time all of these items are checked, and corrected if needed you should have a running motor. "

Back