Logo

b94 FORCE 40 HORSE WONbT START

J

J. DAVID NEDRESKI

" I HAVE THE ABOVE IN A 16&#39

" I HAVE THE ABOVE IN A 16' MONARK, WITH INTEGRAL 13 GAL. TANK. MOTOR RAN FINE THREE DAYS STRAIGHT LAST WEEK, ON THE FOURTH DAY NO GO. JUST PRIOR TO TRYING TO START, NOTICED RUNNING LIGHT CURCUIT DEAD. ANY CONNECTION BETWEEN THE TWO? ALSO, INSTALLED NEW PLUGS AND GAS FILTER, STILL WON'T START. ANY TIPS WOULD CERTAINLY BE APPRECIATED. "

" J.,

There is a plug in f

" J.,

There is a plug in fuse on the plate that the ignition and electrical components are mounted on. That may have something to do with the problem.

You should check for spark if you have not done that. The spark should jump a sizable gap ( about 7/16 inch ). If there is no spark, you should check the stop circuit first. All of these modern ignition systems are grounded out by the ignition switch when the switch is in the off position. You probaly have a man overboard kill switch, and an ignition switch. Both ground the switchbox through the same circuit. Find this wire and disconnect it from the switchbox. I don't have a wiring schematic in front of me right now, so I can't say for sure what color the wire is. On most engines it would be a black wire with a yellow stripe, but Force engines do not follow this standard. It should be easy to figure out which wire you need to disconnect. It should be the only wire from the harness to the switchbox. If the engine starts with this wire disconnected, then the problem is somewhere in the stop circuit. I will check a schematic later and find the proper colored wire in case you can't figure it out.

If the spark is good, and the engine doesn't start you might as well check the compression, and if that is good you probably have a fuel problem.

Tony "

" TONYOB,
THANKS, THAT IS

" TONYOB,
THANKS, THAT IS A GOOD PLACE TO START. I PULLED THE CONTROL AND THERE ARE TWO WIRES FROM THE KILL SWITCH, BOTH BLACK WITH YELLOW. ONE FOR SURE WENT TO THE IGNITION. GOT A CONTINUITY READING ON THAT ONE. I THINK THE OTHER WENT TO THE IGNITION ALSO. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, WHEN KILL SWITSH IN "OFF" POSITION, THIS ALSO READ CONTINUITY. NOT SURE WHERE THE SWITCHBOX YOU MENTIONED IS. THANKS FOR THE HELP, WAITING TO HEAR MORE FROM YOU WHEN YOU CHECK SCHEMATIC. "

" TONYOB,
FORGOT TO MENTION

" TONYOB,
FORGOT TO MENTION, HELD PLUUG ABOUT 1/4" FROM BARE METAL SPOT ON MOTOT AND GOT NO ARCING TO ENGINE. ALSO WENT OVER FUSE PANEL, CLEANED ALL, AND EVERYTHING WORKS ON BOAT, EXCEPT I DO BELIEVE, NO SPARK. "

" J,

The switchbox is mount

" J,

The switchbox is mounted on the plate with the rest of the igniton and charging components. It is a sealed unit. It will have a set of wires from the stator and trigger which are under the flywheel. Another set of wires will lead to the ignition coils. There should be a black/yellow stripe wire connected to it from the harness. This is the wire you should disconnect. If you have spark with this wire disconnected, the problem is somewhere in the kill circuit.

Tony "

Back