Logo

110 merc waterpump problems

jarrod

I have a merc 110 9.8hp with

I have a merc 110 9.8hp with waterpump troubles. I just got this motor so I have no history on it. I got it running but I noticed that it wasn't pumping water out of the tattle tale hose. So I went in and put in an impeller and seals and it still won't pump water. I blew through the tattle tale hose and the only way I can get bubbles in the water is if I hold the three (exhaust) ports closed on the back of the motor with my fingers. This tells me that there is no obstruction and that the line is hooked up properly? Yes...No??? Is there something I missed or is there a gasket up in the powerhead that is bad. Please let me know if you have any great ideas. Thanks

You may have to pull the powe

You may have to pull the power head.If the motor overheated then there is a possibility that the plastic washer (grommet) at the top of the water tube has melted and is blocking the flow of water.I have seen this in the past.

"Jarrod,

The bubbles that y

"Jarrod,

The bubbles that you see in the water are probably caused by air passing through the exhaust system. What you need to find out is if the water tube is blocked as Sparky has mentioned.

If the old impeller was bropken up, you may have parts of it in the tube or cooling system.

There is an outside chance that you can clear it up without pulling the powerhead.

Remove the lower unit again and take a length of fairly stiff, bare, solid wire. Insert it through the water tube and you should be able to tell if there is a blockage. You might be able to clear it up with the wire. It could be the grommet that Sparky mentioned, or even an accumulation of salt or debris at the top of the tube. This has worked for me a number of times.

If this does not help, you may still have another chance to solve the problem without removing the powerhead if you remove the exhaust cover plate. Sometimes you can clear things up by forcing air down through the base of the engine from the lower part of the water jacket. Removing the exhaust cover plate, however, can be a problem in itself, frequently forcing you to remove the powerhead anyway due to broken screws at the lower end of the plate.

Tony"

ONE THING MISSING THE THERMO

ONE THING MISSING THE THERMOSTATS !!!!!!!!!! DOESNNT ANYBODY CHECK THE THERMOSTATS!!!! the fact that he cant blow air throught the tatle tale hose if it isnt obstructed its self is telling that the thermostat housing may be clogged as that is where the tattle tale comes out of bull the 2 bolts off of the housing and remove it and crank that engine over with in a few cranks it should be blowin out water like none other!!!!

" It's unlikely there'

" It's unlikely there's a t-stat on this motor. Only the very end of the 11-cube 9.8hpproduction run had t-stats, and they weren't bolted on - they were held in with a spring clip on the top of the exhaust cover plate...... If the motor in question has a bulge on the top of the plate, it may have the t-stat, but 95% of the 9.8s out there don't... The poster didn't give the serial...
- Scott "

Back