Logo

Sherwood Raw Water Pump

W

WCP

" Wanted to do routine off-sea

" Wanted to do routine off-season maintenance on a Sherwood bronze raw water pick-up pump from a 431 Chris Craft (change impeller, gaskets, etc.). No model number on the pump.

Disassembled the pump, and only found two bronze gears - no rubber impeller. Never seen one of these before. Without a tight rubber-to-metal seal, how does it form suction to draw water? What does one do to maintain this type of pump? Do the gears need to be replaced periodically? Where can one find parts?

Also, I noticed what appears to be a deep bottle-cap-sized threaded cap screwed to a protrusion on the back of the pump. I loosened it, and found it is full of grease. What is this for? Does it need to be repacked and periodically tightened to force grease into the gears? How often should it be tightened? How much? What kind of grease? "

"WCP, the grease is used to m

"WCP, the grease is used to make the seal between the metal impellers and the pump housing. This is an older design that was replaced by rubber impeller pumps on most inboards around the mid-60's. I don't have a CC manual for this pump, but I would think any good waterproof grease, such as wheel bearing grease, would work. Don't take that as gospel, however.

The advantage is that the impellers last darn near forever in fresh water, but as your questions indicate, require more attention than rubber impeller pumps. You can't really "overlube" the pump by turning the cap too much, but that wastes grease. Turn it too little and the pump may lose its prime, overheating your engine. You can see why the industry went to rubber impellers.

Unless you're a stickler for authenticity, I'd use the opportunity to put a new Sherwood or Jabsco on it with rubber impellers. Check the classic boating sites and the links on this site. You should be able to find one fairly easily.

"

My first post here. Looking f

My first post here. Looking for the plastic gears that run the 60's Owens flagship water pump and the cam drive. Mine is a Jabsco but Sherwood works also. Also the 6" flex plate. Any available out there??
Thanks...

Does anbody know where to get

Does anbody know where to get parts for the inside of a Sherwood Raw Water pump for a 1980 PCM mastercraft inboard?? this part is a bronze piece mounted between the inlet and the outlet. the rubber impeller rides against it. thanks PJ

"Thanks Andrew, I was going to

"Thanks Andrew, I was going to call Sherwood pumps monday, but thanks to your help I know the part number and breakdown assembly list. the part I'm looking for is the cam #15883 and screw#10515 for a G-21 sherwood raw water pump.I'll call you guys monday morning Thanks again. Paul"

Back