Logo

Volvo Penta stern drive stalls at idle

E

Eric Mailander

I have a 1996 Volvo Penta 5.7

I have a 1996 Volvo Penta 5.7Gi 350 that stalls every so often when at idle. Otherwist the boat runs good. It has been sitting for the last 2 years so maybe water in the gas?? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Eric Mailander

"It's probably fuel relate

"It's probably fuel related, Eric, but the next time it stalls check for fuel in the carb (a shot from the accelerator pump is a good sign), try putting a little fresh fuel down the carb neck and see if that fires it up even for a second or two. Be careful and ventilate when doing this! If it fires, that points to the fuel system - carb, fuel pump and lines. Fuel contamination is always a possibility.

No fire with fresh fuel means an ignition problem. Check for spark after a stall.

"

"Just noticed that "Gi&#34

"Just noticed that "Gi" may mean fuel injection, in which case things get a little more complicated - fuel pressure regulator, injectors, high pressure pump, return lines, etc. However, a shot of WD-40 into the intake while cranking will tell you if it's fuel or spark related. Hard to get more specific than that with fuel injection.

"

" I have a 1973 volvo penta. I

" I have a 1973 volvo penta. It will not idle under 3000 RPM. Other than that, runs great! HELP! "

" I have a 1973AQ170 volvo pen

" I have a 1973AQ170 volvo penta. It will not idle under 3000 RPM. Other than that, runs great! HELP! "

Back