Logo

87 Merc 50hpbogs down

J

Jeff Lane

" I'm buying a 1987 Merc 5

" I'm buying a 1987 Merc 50hp. I test drove it and found it started out fine, but when I put the throttle wide open it takes off for 2 seconds, then bogs down as if it was at 3/4 thottle. It's the first time it has hit the water this year. The gas is new, but it doesn't seem to be making it to the carb fast enough. Suggestions before I reject this purchase? Thanks.
Jeff "

" Weak fuel pump, leaking fuel

" Weak fuel pump, leaking fuel lines, or dirty carbs. Check the spark and the compression. If these check out, the carbs can be rebuilt easily. This should help lower the price. Check the lines.
Try this check: When the motor starts slowng down, squeeze the bulb. IF the motor picks back up, then the fuel pump is weak.
It's worth a try.
Good Luck "

" not necessarly the pump.. it

" not necessarly the pump.. it could be the bulp its self... 3/4th throttle on that engine is about 4 gph and wot is about 5.5 gph for a fuel pump thats not alot of difference in flow.

Run that engine at 1500 rpm in nuteral and spray come carb cleaner in each bowl vent and take her till she stalls out 5-6 times for each cylinder then retest , you all would be amased howmuch $$$ a 2.00 can of carb cleaner will save "

" I don't recommend using

" I don't recommend using carb cleaner on a two stroke outboard. It displaces the oil in the cylinder and can cause excess wear. The bulb could also be bad. Also check the fuel filter. If you want check the fuel system, you can use a 6 gallon portable tank with a new hose. This might help in the diagnosis.
Good luck and have fun on the Water. "

Back