Logo

To Chris from Jeff

J

Jeff Capps

Thanks for the info!!! I do h

Thanks for the info!!! I do have a jack plate and cav plate is about 3 inches above the running pad. Even at full trim the engine does not break loose!! How high can i raise it and still be safe on the water pick-ups?

" Jeff, That is a good questi

" Jeff, That is a good question. I have always been told that the motor would ventilate before it would starve for cooling water. It would seem to me that if your anti-ventilation plate is 3 inches above the bottom, you are high enough. It is possible that your trim is still too low (or "in")? Does the boat porpoise? The trim will be optimum just "in" from the angle where the boat porpoises. Trim the boat until it porpoises, and then back it off just until it settles down.

There is another possibility. Some hulls are just not mean't to run fast. Even planing hulls seem to have a maximum speed. Straight vee hulls tend to rise up out of the water as speed increases, but do not trim up well, thereby limiting the speed. Modified vee hulls trim better, and therefore go faster. My 16' Avenger (modified vee) will run 60+ MPH with a 150HP Merc OB. The hull is quite flat in the stern. "

Back