Logo

Starting problems with a 1980 40hp Mercury engine

K

Kevin Mixon

When I try to crank the engin

When I try to crank the engine it turns over real slow like the battery is dead but I had the battery checked and it is fine. It was working fine till a couple of days ago. When you get the boat started it runs great. What could be the problem?

" Kevin, The problem is eithe

" Kevin, The problem is either the electrical current is not reaching the starter, or the starter itself is bad. Check the battery cable and it's connections to the battery and starter solonoid, as well as the connection of the cable between the starter solonoid and the starter. Also check to make sure the starter has a good ground. They have ground cables from the case of the starter to the block, since they are have rubber mounts. Also, I had a nick in the insulation of the battery cable, and the copper corroded badly, until only 1-2 strands were left. This happened inside the cable insulation, and was therefore hard to see. "

" Kevin
To find out if the st

" Kevin
To find out if the starter is faulty,use a jumper cable directly from a battery on the starter. If the problem remains, it is inside the starter.
Disassemble the starter and find out if there is a problem inside.
I had a starter where the springs for the brushes had corroded and almost disappeared. I replaced them (just simple coil springs, doesn't seem to be sold as a spare part). The brushes and copper "braids" (not sure about the word) can be bad (can probably be bought as spare parts). Also be sure to clean the brush area from graphite dust, as it is conductive.
Good luck.
Robert "

Back