Logo

MERCURY 98 110

rob

Does any body know where I ca

Does any body know where I can get a maintenance manual for my Merc 9.8 (110). The only ones I've been able to find are for very broad ranges of motors and not specific to the 9.8. If you know of anywhere that I can get one please let me know. Thank you.

The Seloc Manual Volume 1 196

The Seloc Manual Volume 1 1965-1991 list many different models. It does go into detail about the 9.8. I use it to work on my 110 and 200 aka 9.8 and 20 hp. Try it. It is very good.
Good luck and Have fun on the Water.

Thanks for the note. Are the

Thanks for the note. Are the books easy to follow? I am not experienced working with the motors but would like to be able to do maintenance on my own. Am I being realistic?

Very easy to follow. It give

Very easy to follow. It gives step by step instructions. Just take your time and double check everything.

Good luck and have fun on the water.

" Thanks Merc Dude. I'm go

" Thanks Merc Dude. I'm gonna do it. On an annual basis, what are the most common tasks that I should be performing?

Also, this engine hasn't been serviced in about 5-6 years and has had moderate use in that time. What should I be looking to do given that fact? "

" I would first replace the wa

" I would first replace the water pump impeller, replace the fuel filter, and test it. It may have fuel related problems from sitting up, but try it first with fresh fuel. Change the lower unit oil at least once every season. When the fishing season is done, make sure you run some fuel with stablizer in it. This will keep the fuel in the carb from gumming it up.

Good luck and have fun on the Water "

" Sounds good. The Seloc manua

" Sounds good. The Seloc manual is the one for 1-2 cyls. right?

I now have the serial # but when I go to the Merc site it won't show me info. Maybe it doesn't go back that far?

I was hoping it would work so I could see the appropriate part #'s. Does the Seloc manual include part #'s???

Anyways, the serial # is 7103800. Mean anything to you? "

" Yes, I have a Older motor w

" Yes, I have a Older motor with the serial number in the same range. Check the motor real closely because it looks like it was made in Canada. The Seloc Manual gives model broken down by serial number, power head type, bore,stroke, etc. It even breaks down the different types of recoil start and lower units. Just take your time.
Good luck and have fun on the Water. "

" Thanks again for taking the

" Thanks again for taking the time to respond. The Seloc manual is going to be a definite purchase.

I have one more thing I've been wanting to ask you. Before we had a dock the boat was tied up near shore. Over that time the prop had taken a beating (it was pretty bad to start).

I've been trying to research the Merc site (and others) to learn about proper replacements. I know that the one that came with it is a 9x9, 2 blade. I've noticed that the 9x9's on the Merc site are 3 blades.

Can I put a 3 blade on? Is there something I should be concerned about or will it be better performance? I know my questions probably seem stupid to you but you've been a big help.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time.

Rob. "

" The only stupid question is

" The only stupid question is the one you never ask. The difference between a two blade and three blade on this little motor will be small. I have always heard that the 2 blade was a speed prop while the 3 blade was for power, probably due to less friction in the water. I don't really know if this is true or not. If the boat performed well with the existing 2 blade prop, a comparable 3 blade should perform well. Check the Michigan propellar web site, not sure of the URL name. It has different aftermarket props that would work on your boat.

Hope this helps.

" That looks like the correct

" That looks like the correct one. On the prop, if it were me, I would go with the 3 blade, just my personal preference.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again. I'll be sur

Thanks again. I'll be sure to look for you when I start at it and hit snags. Gonna post another topic to see if anyone knows about my serial number.

"I would like to buy a good Me

"I would like to buy a good Mercury 110 9.8hp. between the years of 1964 to 1966. If anybody knows of one please E-Mail me at [email protected]

Thanks."

What is the oil/fuel mixture

What is the oil/fuel mixture ratio for a Mercury 110 9.8?
Ser # 7117230.

Thanks for your help.

Gerry C

Back