Logo

Evinrude Lower Unit

P

Patrick Woods

" Hi, I have a '63 Lark en

" Hi, I have a '63 Lark engine, and I need to know how I can remove the electric shift wire from the lower unit case. Is this possible? Or am I going to have to try and find a new wire? Thanks.
. "

"Patrick..... Your question is

"Patrick..... Your question is somewhat confusing. The only reason one would have to remove that shift wire would be to replace it.

Are you asking how to remove the lower unit from the engine with the shift wire..... or are you asking how to dismantle the lower unit in order to remove the shift wire (cable) from the lower unit itself?

In either case, you would want to have the service manual handy. If you don't have one, try here:

www.marineengine.com/manuals/evinrude/

Joe
"

" Patrick.... If, on the other

" Patrick.... If, on the other hand you are asking how to discontinue the use of the electric shift wire you would have to replace the lower unit with a manual shift one. In that case you would also need to get a shift rod, and the whole shift handle assembly. You may also have to replace your exhaust housing in order to carry the manual shift components as well. Some of the other folks in here coould tell you for certain.

In short, It would probably be a lot less work, and far more economical to diagnose and repair any problems you are having than to convert your motor from electric shift to manual shift.

Just my two cents worth. "

where the lower unit splits y

where the lower unit splits you will find the connecters.Put the unit upside down and seperate it(prevents rollers from falling into the unit)and you will see the rubber boots covering the connecters.Nothing wrong with the design of those electric units.What is your location?

Back