Logo

73 merc 150 no reverse

stl_boater

" I have a 73 merc 1500 (1

" I have a 73 merc 1500 (150 hp inline 6) ser# 4124969 Recently had the distributer rebuilt by a local tech. Runs VERY good in the water going fwd, BUT, will not go into reverse. I had no problem shifting to reverse before he rebuilt the distrib.

The detent on the control box for neutral is in the right place, but it seems like the detent for reverse is farther back than it was last year. When I try to put it in reverse, the gearcase rattles like it's trying, but never meshes in. I also noticed that If I just shift to the reverse detent, and NOT give it any reverse throttle, the shifter will not move back to fwd.

I called the guy that rebuilt the distrib, and he's telling me it is probably the "reverse lock cam" (merc part# 43308-t1) down in the lower unit, but again It went into reverse fine last year, and he didnt crack into the lower unit.

Is he taking me for a ride, or is he right on, or is there something else I should be looking for (shift cable?) "

Disconnect the cable at the m

Disconnect the cable at the motor and try shifting manually.From that information you will know what to do next.

Back