Logo

RPM Problem

L

LGinBAMA

" I have a 1981 Glastron 19&#3

" I have a 1981 Glastron 19' that had Mercruiser 228 HP (305 c.i.d.) in it. The engine froze during the winter, (I know, dumb ass!), anyway I built a 71 350 c.i.d Chevy engine to go back with. I had all the machine work done at a local machine shop, (nothing but good reports from everyone I talked to). I went .30 over, new pistons, (I wanted a final compression ration of 9-9.5 to 1, but by my calculations it turned out to be about 10.6 to 1)I used an Edelbrock 600 c.f.m. marine carb and intake that I had purchased from summint racing the year prior to losing the 305 engine, (I only used it about 6 times, maybe a total of 50 hours!). I took the carb and intake off before pulling the bad engine, put them both on a shelf and covered them up with a towel. I did forgot to flush the gas from the carb beforehand, and it was on the shelf for about 9 months. My problem is, the carb was working PERFECT the last time the engine was ran. After building the new engine, I can't get it to idle below 1200 r.p.m.! I found an intake air leak, and thought this was my problem. I replaced the gasket and still cant get the idle below 1200 r.p.m. even though I cant find an air leak anywhere on the intake! I have no vacuum hoses that are leaking either. I can hold the choke flap to about 80 or 85% closed and the idle comes down and the engine sounds great! Or, if I stuff a shop towel into the back bores of the carb, (secondaries), leaving just one corner open slightly, it has the same effect and the idle comes down to about 600 or so, and you can count each lick the engine makes! I thought the carb could have varnish or gum in it due to setting up like it did, do I pulled it off, took it apart, soaked it, and all of the lose parts in carburator cleaner for a day or two, brushed everything off, washed them with soap and water, then blew everything dry with compressed air. I was sure this would take care of my problem, but it didnt help. WHAT could be my problem? I used a camshaft and lifter kit from Crane for an RV application, so the power and torque would be between 1200 to 5,ooo r.p.m. range.
When I built the new engine, I took the heads to a machine shop and they stripped them for me, then I took them home, and took my time to match the the ports to the intake gaskets, porting and polishing the heads for imporoved flow. The machine shop said it looked great, and then done the valve work. I am desperate here, so anything anyone could suggest would be GREATLY appreciated! What might be my problem? What am I overlooking? "

"I'm not an expert on this

"I'm not an expert on this carb, but if I recall the Edelbrocks are AFB type 4 barrels. Your low speed circuit may still be plugged - sometimes it takes cleaning with a tiny wire to get them right. The partial choke and blocked secondary bringing the idle down seems to indicate the carb is flowing too much air and not enough fuel. One quick way to isolate the problem to the carb is to borrow a good AFB, put it on and see if you get the same behavior. Betting you won't.

"

Back