Logo

Volvo Tamd60c Overheat

P

Paul Dempsey

Had an overheat alarm on engi

Had an overheat alarm on engine. Changed impeller and plate but still no water comming from exhaust. Water is flowing at high pressure at least as far as the heat-exchanger at the front of the engine but the water pipe connection to the exhaust is bone dry. Any Ideas?

" was the impeller wiped out?

" was the impeller wiped out? if so the impeller rubber is plugging the heat exchanger tubes, you need to clean out tubes. "

" I am considering purchasing

" I am considering purchasing a 3-year old 41' Formula with twin Volvo TAMD74LEDC's with approx. 350 hours on them. I plan to have a survey done, including an oil analysis done prior to purchase, but I have never had any direct experience with Volvo's before.

Anyone had any experience with these engines? What is their general reputation? Any well known weaknesses or maintenance issues?

Thanks. "

" Am also facing heat problems

" Am also facing heat problems with the TAMD60C, after putting in a new impeller and cleaning the oil cooler the heat exchanger still builds up very high pressure, which then is pressed into the reservoir and from there into the bilge. How can I avoid loosing coolwater?
What temp should the thermostates open in Celsius? "

" Hate to admit such things ~

" Hate to admit such things ~ but somrtimes one learns thru mistakes. Had a simular problem on a Volvo 70 series not long ago. What had happened, Due to diligent changing of engine zinks, As the bronze zink plugs were removed ~ leftover zinks were left in the heatexchanger-- after 2/3 changes in efect a nice plug was formed to completey pulg to outflow due to the conf. of the in out passages.
So much for being to carefull with maintance! End result was to dissamble heat exchanger ~ clean & reseal. Not a bad idea after 2000 hr or so as part of routiene maintance anyway. "

"The raw water circuit on this

"The raw water circuit on this engine is fairly complicated and hard to work on- you could have a restriction in the aftercooler, oil cooler, or heat exchanger- they are all prone to pack up with deposits over time- you could try to do a Muriatic acid flush without disassembling everything by flowing the acid/water mix backwards through the hose that feeds the exhaust. This will dissolve the zincs, so they will have to be replaced."

Back