Logo

1978 Johnson 35 HP Help

T

tomjensen

" Hello:

I found this web s

" Hello:

I found this web site while I was looking for an electric starter for an older (1970's) Johnson 35hp outboard engine.

Here is my situation. I injured my back which is now preventing me from taking my young son out fishing because I can't pull the manual start to this outboard engine anymore. I am just wondering, since you sell parts, if you know if an outboard like this can be "retrofitted" with an electric starter somehow?

Thanks for any help you can provide. It is greatly appreciated.

Tom "

" If it has the ring gear on t

" If it has the ring gear on the flywheel it is just a matter of finding a donor motor. It will have the starter,bracket and solenoid on it as a unit. "

" In the absence of a ring gea

" In the absence of a ring gear on your flywheel the only other part required would be that of locating one with a ring gear, perhaps from that some donor motor. Additionally, there would of course be the battery, and a start switch. I just picked up a generic start switch from discount auto parts for about $8, you could pick up a low end battery there for about $34 unless you prefer to go with marine equipment. Also, a bit of wire, which is definately not a problem. That can be picked up just about anywhere.

Going from manual to electric can certianly be done. Just a matter of picking up the parts that were not needed for the straight manual models. "

Back